6.29.2011

The Family Historian Has Big Closets

Since we are on a nostalgic bend this week, writing about Carnivore got me, Pete's neice Marie and Pete's sister Pat talking about the early bands -- Hot Ice & Northern Lights. I remember when we got our first t-shirts from Peter. He came into the livingroom with a big box in his arms. Inside were shirts in all our sizes and he handed them out telling us this free shirt required our appearance at their next gig.

Since Pat is the self-proclaimed "family historian," she's the one who keeps the family tree intact, keeps track of lost relatives, and apparently has a huge closet filled with personal items like this shirt:



Pete's sister Pat still has this original t-shirt in her collection of Peter goodies
(I'm laughing while I'm typing this because the iron-on letters are so telling of the era)


This Hot Ice Tshirt seems to be missing a patch or something on the left side of the shirt. Each band member wore the shirt, with the back of the shirt detailing which instrument that person played. So, you can imagine that the back of this shirt had the word "bass" on it. (This design is so mundane, I can't believe Peter had anything to do with it.) It's before he started painting on his jackets and clothing ... It looks like something a little kid would do ...


Pete would wear this shirt often - even when he was older and working around the house, he had it on.

As you can tell the shirts were starting to get better, more creative.


It was sometime between Northern Lights and Fallout that Pete's creativity came out. He started painting jackets, vests, backdrops for shows. He began to dabble in lettering and fonts. Here is a vest that Pete gave to Pat years ago. Pete would wear this vest when he was out with his friends and playing at shows.




While I don't have footage from Peter's early career (too bad right !), here is a memorial video I just saw. Must be recent because the pic I use on this blog is included in the video:

15 comments:

  1. Dude, that is one great collection of band shirts... I bet you could get thousands for that collection on ebay, but the personal value to you is more likely priceless. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, wow. Those clothes-designs. Haha. This was a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the iron on letters from when I was a kid. We would get our favorite band names on tshirts and thought we were so cool. So daggy but that was the 70's. I always try to get the first tshirt from new bands I like. They hold lots of good memories, especially if the band doesn't stay together for long. So glad you have these old tshirts. I think we need a Peter Steele museum to put them in. Like I said in my previous comment..So good Peter always thought of you all and so good you all supported him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see the Hot Ice layout. Very much the way the type was laid out on the album covers for Type O (forming an angle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! It's wonderful that pat kept peter's things. Peter is so talented, he did a great job!! Thank you for sharing...I love the video as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Gayle on the Peter Steele Museum....have one of these incredible artists to do a wax figure of him...have all his stuff...that would be so amazing!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, man, just hope one day you guys get a biographer to put everything together in one big book. I'd so buy it! I have a background in graphic design, so this kind of detail is absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There should be a Peter Steele museum with all his basses and old clothes that would awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing collection and a veritable sartorial archive of Peter's evolution as a musician. Fallout and Carnivore had amazing logos and visual graphics. The Fallout font is kick-ass and of course, Carnivore's stage image, from the early days of furry boots and post-nuclear holocaust armour to the later day blood-splattered aprons, was brilliant. I have met many designers who go nuts over TON's logo and say its a work of genius. Peter was indeed multitalented and his view of a band as a multilayered yet coherent concept - visual, performative, musical - was outstanding and totally ahead of his time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so wonderful that Pat held onto these things for so long. I'm the one who keeps everything in my family. Sadly, my mom was the type to give everything away! So great seeing how Peter's ideas evolved over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People like Pat are priceless! Thank you for sharing and become a part of YOUR Peter.♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. People like Pat are priceless! Thank your for sharing and become a part of YOUR Peter.♥
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Appreciate the kind words, thank you. I kept everything Pete gave me because I knew in my heart he was destined for greatness, and these items mark footprints to milestones. I still have a large envelop full of his first fan mails, which I was in charge of answering for him.

    I'm happy these memorabilia give a good measure of pleasure to you all. ... Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. joe shaggy myers11:18 AM, July 19, 2016

    wow knew about fallout but never about the other 2 would love to hear some of their work have been huge fan since 95 got me thru lot of tough times

    ReplyDelete
  15. joe shaggy myers11:21 AM, July 19, 2016

    never knew about first 2 knew about fallout would love to hear their their work been huge fan since 95 got me thru lot of tuff times

    ReplyDelete